Friday, August 22, 2014

fried green tomato po' boys

King's Hawaiian Bread makes a mini-sub roll.


There was an abundance of green tomatoes at the Durham Farmer's Market.
I found a couple of ripe avocadoes at the grocery store.

Talk about your inspiration.
green tomatoes, sliced in relatively thin slices
flour
buttermilk
Torta masa (Mexican corn flour)
salt
pepper
Dredge the tomato slices in the flour and then toss them in the buttermilk. Shake them off a little and toss them in the masa. Heat about a half inch of canola oil in a skillet to about 350 and then drop the tomato slices into the hot oil. Cook them until lightly browned -- two-three minutes a side.
King's mini sub rolls
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
avocados, sliced
Sriracha mayonnaise (2 parts mayo to 1 part Sriracha)
Butter the King's rolls and put them butter side down on a hot grill pan or skillet just long enough to brown them. Set them on the plate. Put down two or three tomatoes, a couple of slices of avocado, a handful of the shredded lettuce, and then paint the top of the bun with the mayo.

Make enough for seconds.

Peace,
Milton





1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend, Milton,
You know Texas weather. Until just last week I had tomatoes in the garden in all stages. I am so glad I found this recipe. I am having them for my supper tonight. Husband gets leftovers. The eggplant fared well until mid December! Can't wait to do the Eggplant Napoleon as I have a goat cheese supple down the road and I make my g'mother's fig preserves every summer. Thank you!!
Shalom to you in this new year.
Leah